The Barbara Phinney News

Monday, June 20, 2005

Seeing the end of the tunnel, and blog policing?

Well, June (my busiest month ever) is closing in on the end. And I am truly happy to see it go. I like June, don't get me wrong, it contains my birthday, but this one has seen way too much action for this boring routine-loving person.
This past weekend I helped to build a fully wheelchair accessible cabin at our local church's camp. It poured rain just about the whole time. The only break we got was when it was misting out.
But hey, I even got up and aligned roof trusses. This kid can hardly climb a ladder without getting dizzy. And thanks to all the prayers, we had only one small accident. A cut on the finger of our foreman. I guess the prayers didn't include all the blisters and aching wrists from us non-hammer swingers.
Good experience and all, though.
My other note, and a bit of a rant, if a Celexa-loaded body can rant , is this firing crap employees have got into because of blogs.
First up, being a self-employed writer, if I chose to rant about co-workers and bosses, it would include my fellow writers, and my editors. Not a good thing. Mind you, nor is complaining about your boss in a public forum.
Okay, I understand why some people rant. I've worked with jerks before. But all I can say is, if you don't like your work that much, complaining isn't what you should be doing. Quitting is. Or making changes, affirmative action stuff. Quality work life meetings. Sure, I complain all the time, but having worked with enough men, who prefer to offer advice than to offer a sympathetic ear, I know that doing something about the problem is more likely the mail suggestion.
Having said all that, I would like to point out to the employers that if you don't like the rant, don't read it. If you want to fire someone for it, you had better have a written, distributed and signed policy in place before you go off firing valuable workers.
The problem is at both ends, and as a male boss once told me,
"Solve it."
Oops, I nearly forgot the link of the week!
Are you looking for a different vacation? Or place for a wedding?
Check out this site:
http://www.celticcastles.com/
Enjoy this day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home