The Barbara Phinney News

Saturday, March 19, 2005

puns

In talking with my writer friends this week, I'm realizing that this time of year is really hard for us. The weather doesn't always cooperate, kids' sports events are coming to a head, and parents are getting dragged down. But in the midst of this, we must look for and hang on to nuggets of inspiration and push ourselves when we don't really feel like it.
At school, a student of mine was telling me about what he knew of the ship The Marco Polo, and I said to him, "I know a writer who wrote an historical novel set on the Marco Polo. Her name is Flora Kidd."
The quick witted young man glanced over his shoulder at his younger brother, who was hovering nearby, and said to me, "I'd like to Flora Kidd!"
That was the highlight of my week and enabled me to contact my writer friends with the pun and we shared a good laugh. We all need it I believe. One writer friend of mine got two rejections this week and another is still waiting, like me, for her editor to contact her. With spring only days away, we could really use the lift.
But right now, I'm going back to my writing. This book isn't the usual Book In A Week, or month, or anything. Rather, I just want to keep creating and have a plan, synopsis and hope to get something out of this by the end of the summer.
And maybe by then, I'll have an answer from my editor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home